|In my A2 photography, I attempted to create narrative with Photographic pieces referencing Fairy Tales, above is an extract from this,|
Propp's Theory of narrative
Prop argued that no matter the differences between stories and fairy tales, they all share a common internal structure. Basically, all characters can be grouped in to either:
- The Villain
- The Hero- He/She is seeking something, motivated by the lack of said "Thing"
- The Donor- Provides an object with Magical quality (Q is a fantastic example of a Non-Magical Donor)
- The Helper- They aid the Hero
- The princess- The Hero's Reward
- The Father- The Hero's reward Giver
- The dispacter- Who sends the Hero
- The false hero
He argued Binary opposites in media. Or Binary Opposites.
"All stories are about a return to normalitly."
Equilibrium- Dis-equilibrium- Equilibrium
Barthes Suggests that there are five different codes within narrative.
- Action- A narrative device by which a resolution is produced through action.
- Enigma- A narrative device that teases the audience by presenting a puzzle or riddle to be solved. Works to delay the story's ending pleasurably.
- Cultural- A narrative device which the audience can recognize as being part of culture.